Menu Bar:
Crisis Response Team

The Domestic Violence Crisis Response Team (CRT) was formulated to assist officers in providing the most effective intervention on an immediate basis. The team is comprised of volunteer citizens from the community who have been accepted and trained by the Morris County Prosecutor's Office and the Jersey Battered Women's Service, to respond to and provide immediate assistance to victims of domestic violence. Types of assistance the CRT provides include:
  • Explanation of the Domestic Violence Act and its components.
  • Explanation of available social services which can assist the victim in attending to his/her needs.
  • Referral to the Jersey Battered Woman's Service for follow up needs.
  • Assisting the victim in seeking available alternate shelter, where indicated.
  • Explanation of the dynamics of Domestic Violence.

    If you would like information on becoming a CRT volunteer click here.

    For further information print our Domestic Violence Crisis Response Team brochure.

    Rights of Victims of Domestic Violence

    You have the right to go to court to get an order called a temporary restraining order (TRO) which may protect you from more abuse by your attacker. Your local police department can tell you how to get a TRO. The kind of things a judge can order in a TRO may include:
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from entering the home you live in;
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from having contact with you or your relatives;
  • that your attacker is temporarily forbidden from bothering you at work;
  • that your attacker is has to pay temporary child support or support for you;
  • that you be given temporary custody of your children;
  • that your attacker pay you back any money you have to spend for medical treatment or repairs because of the violence.

  • There are other things the court can order. The court clerk will explain the procedure to you and help you fill out the papers for a TRO. On weekends, holidays and other times when the courts are closed, you still have the right to get a TRO. Your local police department can help you get in touch with a judge who can give you a TRO.
    You also have the right to file a criminal complaint against your attacker. Your local police department will tell you how to file a criminal complaint.

    If you need assistance:
    For emergency shelter, counseling or referrals, call the domestic violence shelter in your county. You may also call the county Office of Victim-Witness Advocacy. You may obtain information on lawyer referral by calling the local county Bar Association.

    For more information on domestic violence contact the Jersey Battered Women's Service at (973) 455-1256. A 24-hour Hotline is available by calling (973) 267-4763.

    This site designed and maintained by Lt. Craig Austenberg